The Department for the Economy has launched a public appointments competition to recruit a new Chair, Deputy Chair and eight new board members to the board of the General Consumer Council for Northern Ireland.
The Consumer Council is a public body, independent from government, working to bring about change to benefit consumers here. Its aim is to make the consumer voice heard and make it count. It has specific functions in relation to energy, water, transport, postal services and food.
The Department wishes to appeal to people of all ages from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences to help maximise the relevance of the Consumer Council to everyone in the region and bring some fresh perspectives on consumer issues from their own practical experience. Those from rural communities are especially encouraged to apply.
This is an open competition which involves an application form and interview.
No academic qualifications are required for the posts. Appointments will be made on merit from those applicants who best satisfy the criteria detailed in the Candidate Information Booklets.
The Department is currently operating the Guaranteed Interview Scheme in this competition for applicants with a disability.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 12.00 Noon (GMT) on Thursday 8 February 2024.
The time commitment and remuneration for the different roles are as follows:
- Chair: 1½ days per week. The appointment attracts remuneration of £24,415 per year (under review).
- Deputy Chair: 1½ days per month with remuneration rates of £77.13 per day for under four hours and £154.27 per day for over four hours (under review).
- Board member: Normally one day per month with remuneration rates of £58.17 per day for under four hours and £116.32 per day for over four hours (under review).
All reasonable travel and subsistence costs, and any dependant-carer expenses incurred whilst undertaking board duties will also be reimbursed where applicable.
Further information and an application pack can be obtained at the Public Appointments page on the DfE website or by contacting the Public Appointments Unit, First Floor, Adelaide House, 39-49 Adelaide Street, Belfast BT2 8FD, Tel: (028) 9052 9461 or (028) 9052 9212, text relay: 18001 028 9052 9212 or by email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors:
1. DfE is running the competition in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland (CPANI) Code of Practice.
2. The Department is committed to the principles of public appointments based on merit with independent assessment, openness, and transparency of process. The Department is also committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes application forms from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of religious belief, gender, race, political opinion, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or whether or not they have dependants.
3. For further information regarding the Consumer Council, can be obtained on the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland website.
4. Applicants invited for interview are eligible for reimbursement of reasonable travelling expenses incurred within the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
5. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com
6. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @DeptEconomyNI
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
7. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Murphy welcomes growth in tourism from the south 29 February 2024
- Work Quality in Northern Ireland Statistics 27 February 2024
- Northern Ireland Labour Force Survey – Young People Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET) 22 February 2024
- County Down director agrees to disqualification 21 February 2024