The winners of the Department for the Economy’s annual Northern Ireland Apprenticeship Awards were announced today.
Speaking at a ceremony hosted by speaker and broadcaster David Meade in the Belfast Harbour Commissioner’s office, Mike Brennan, Permanent Secretary at the Department for the Economy, said:
“The Northern Ireland Apprenticeship Awards are an opportunity to appreciate those who have made a significant investment in vocational education. The awards ceremony allows us to celebrate the commitment and the immense capability of our apprentices, their employers and the training providers who support them.”
The 2023 winners are:
- The Apprentice Award – Conor Braniff, employed by Tullycross Tiling and training at Southern Regional College. Conor is undertaking his Level 2 in Wall and Floor Tiling
- The Higher Level Apprentice Award – Kerry Moore, employed by Deloitte MCS and studying with Ulster University. Kerry is working towards her Level 6 HLA in Business Technology
- The Small to Medium Enterprise Award – Nugent Engineering in partnership with South West College
- The Large Employer Award – NIE Networks in partnership with Northern Regional College
- The Mentor Award – Charley McAuley, working with apprentices at Mivan Ltd
- The Special Award for Diversity and Inclusion – NIE Networks
Referring to the introduction of the inaugural Mentor Award and Special Award for Diversity and Inclusion, Mike Brennan said:
“I am particularly pleased to see the introduction of these two new awards. Our apprentices gain so much from the experience and knowledge of those they work with, and it is only right that we recognise these mentoring skills and the time and energy given to development.
“Equally important is the recognition of those employers who have prioritised a diverse and inclusive apprenticeship model. This new Diversity and Inclusion Award highlights the unique role apprenticeships play in ensuring everyone can support economic growth which is central to our vision of a 10X economy.”
More information on the Northern Ireland Apprenticeship Awards 2023 can be found on the Department’s website at Northern Ireland Apprentice Awards 2023
Notes to editors:
1. Photograph captions:
Pic 1 – Apprentice 2023 Award winner Conor Braniff of Tullycross Tiling, second right, pictured at the NI Apprenticeship Awards in Belfast with (l-r) Raymond Braniff of Tullycross Tiling; Mike Brennan of Department for the Economy; and Denise Cornett of Southern Regional College.
Pic 2 – Higher Level Apprentice 2023 Award winner Kerry Moore of Deloitte, second right, pictured at the NI Apprenticeship Awards in Belfast with (l-r) Rosemary Mullan, Deloitte; Paula Moore, Kerry's mother; Mike Brennan of Department for the Economy; Judith Wylie, Ulster University; and Oonagh Grant, Deloitte.
2. Further photos are available by contacting email@example.com
4. To keep up to date with news from the Department for the Economy you can follow us on the following social media channels:
Twitter – @Economy_NI
Facebook – @DeptEconomyNI
Instagram – economy_ni
LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
5. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Co. Tyrone Directors disqualified 26 May 2023
- Northern Ireland Labour Force Survey – Young People Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET) Statistics 25 May 2023
- Publication of statistical fact sheet: Higher Level Apprenticeships at Higher Education Institutions in NI, 2021/22 24 May 2023
- 20 high quality training places in new part-time Assured Skills Academy with PwC 24 May 2023