This paper seeks views and comments on the proposed implementation of legislation, principally related to the natural gas industry in Northern Ireland to:
- harmonise gas networks in Northern Ireland with Republic of Ireland
- provide greater competition and investment opportunities
- reflect the European dimension to Regulator duties
- enhance Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland security of gas supply
- encourage market efficiencies
In order to implement Common Arrangements for Gas, primary legislation will be needed in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to direct changes to Regulators’ functions so that a single system operator can function across the island of Ireland.