The Department for the Economy has appointed Mrs Michele Corkey as temporary Chair of the governing body of Belfast Metropolitan College. The appointment takes effect from 26 October 2023.
The appointment has been made in accordance with the Code of Practice of the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
1. Belfast Metropolitan College (BMC) is one of the six further education colleges in Northern Ireland. Colleges are non-departmental public bodies of the Department for the Economy, which are established under the Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In delivering college services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. Mrs Corkey’s appointment will follow the end of tenure of the current governing body Chair, Mr Frank Bryan.
3. The post of governing body Chair is remunerated at a rate of £20,000 per annum, plus travel and subsistence allowances which are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates in respect of activities carried out whilst fulfilling their duties.
4. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Mrs Corkey has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years.
5. Michele Corkey has been a teacher and leader for over 30 years in various school settings in Northern Ireland. She began her teaching career in the primary sector, moving to post primary education with experience at middle leadership, senior leadership level gaining experience in strategically leading curriculum and pastoral initiatives. Appointed Vice Principal in St Louise’s Comprehensive College as Curriculum Vice Principal in 2005, Mrs Corkey was responsible for raising standards and leading the Special School Strategy. In 2008 Mrs Corkey took on the role of Principal in St Mark’s High School in Warrenpoint, developing and leading effective teamwork, distributed leadership and high-quality staff development. During this time she also worked as an Associate Assessor with the Education and Training Inspectorate and held the position of Chair of the Catholic Principals Association. Most recently Mrs Corkey strategically led the successful amalgamation of St Ronan’s College in Lurgan, bringing three schools together to create one of the largest all-ability grammar schools in Northern Ireland. Committed to professional development, she has also completed the Common Purpose Leadership Development Programme, engaging in activities and training with leaders of all types of organisations across NI. In 2020 she was appointed Director of Education in the Education Authority (EA) where she strategically led the Education Directorate responsible for a wide range of services and support for schools including School Improvement, Area Planning and C2K. As a member of the Corporate Leadership team, she was responsible for the strategic leadership of the EA.
6. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @DeptEconomyNI
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
7. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Electricity Consumption and Renewable Generation in Northern Ireland: Year Ending September 2023 07 December 2023
- Department for the Economy publishes 2023/24 budget consultation final response 05 December 2023
- Extension to public appointment of Invest NI Interim Chair 01 December 2023
- Reappointment to the board of Northern Ireland Screen 28 November 2023