The Department for the Economy has reappointed one Chair and one member to the Governing Body of Belfast Metropolitan College (BMC) and one member to the Governing Body of Southern Regional College (SRC) for a period of four years:
Belfast Metropolitan College:
Mr Frank Bryan (Chair) – reappointed with effect from 26 October 2019
Mr Samuel (Sam) Snodden (member) – reappointed with effect from 14 December 2019
Southern Regional College
Mr Thomas (Tom) Redmond (member) – reappointed with effect from 1 October 2019.
These are regulated appointments and have been made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
1. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. The post of Governing Body Chair is remunerated at £20,000 per annum. The post of Governing Body member is remunerated at £250 for a Governing Body meeting and £150 for a committee meeting or event sanctioned by the Chair. For the posts of both Governing Body Chair and Governing Body member, travel and subsistence allowances are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Bryan, Mr Redmond and Mr Snodden have not carried out any political activity in the last five years.
4. Mr Frank Bryan has been a member of the governing body of BMC since August 2011. He served as Vice-Chairman and Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee, before becoming Chair of the Governing Body in 2015. Until December 2018 he was Trustee Chair of the BMC Charitable Trust. Mr Bryan is an experienced Non-Executive Director (NED), Chartered Director, Chartered Engineer, senior executive coach and a Fellow of the Institute of Directors. Outside of the FE sector Mr Bryan currently holds the following roles:
- Executive coaching and business growth services since 2015, including Vistage Chair since 2018;
- NED of Cirdan Imaging Ltd since 2011;
- Managing Director of his own company providing engineering services since 1993.
5. Mr Tom Redmond worked in the Northern Ireland Civil Service for almost 40 years. Prior to his retirement in 2015, he worked in the area of estates development for the further education sector. During his career he worked in many areas of government including benefits administration, Employment Service, Careers Guidance and Further Education. For many years, Mr Redmond has been involved with community organisations, sports clubs and other organisations.These include Honorary Secretary of Warrenpoint Golf Club and member and chair of board of governors for St Colman’s Primary School, Newry. Mr Redmond does not currently hold any other public appointments.
6. Mr Sam Snodden is a Chartered Accountant and lives in Carrickfergus. He trained in a major Belfast firm of Chartered Accountants before running his own professional accountancy practice. Mr Snodden spent 23 years working in the Health Service in a range of senior finance posts, including Director of Finance for the Southern Health and Social Services Board. He was also foremost in the development of corporate governance in the health service for a number of years. Having taken early retirement in 2010, Mr Snodden worked as Finance Officer for the Girls’ Brigade Northern Ireland. He was also a committee member for the Chartered Accountants Ireland Ulster Society and was Chair of their public sector group. He previously served as a Non-Executive Director with the Consumer Council, chairing their Audit and Risk Assurance Committee. Mr Snodden is currently an independent member of the NI Chest Heart and Stroke Association Audit and Risk Committee. As a Governor for BMC, he is Vice Chair of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee and a member of the Human Resources Committee. Mr Snodden does not currently hold any other public appointments. Outside of work he is a keen amateur photographer and plays guitar in a church praise band.
7. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
8. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Lyons announces appointments to board of Construction Industry Training Board Northern Ireland 05 August 2022
- Belfast Distillery Company invests £22m in new J&J McConnell’s Distillery and Visitor Centre 04 August 2022
- Lyons backs NI universities’ pledge to end use of Non-Disclosure Agreements 01 August 2022
- Economy Minister Gordon Lyons has welcomed the InvestNI 2021/22 End of Year performance results 01 August 2022