The Department for the Economy has launched a public appointment competition to recruit 32 governing body members across five further education colleges.
Commenting on the competition and inviting applications from all sections of the community, Economy Minister Gordon Lyons said:
“This is an exciting and significant opportunity to influence the provision of education and skills in Northern Ireland. The successful candidates will help us to support the economic recovery post Covid-19 and sustain our aim of building a modern economy, which includes supporting the most disadvantaged by ensuring access to learning that leads to sustainable career pathways.
"If you believe you can help and want to be part of the further education sector’s mission to support recovery and growth in Northern Ireland, please consider applying.’’
Northern Ireland’s further education colleges play a dual role in delivering professional and technical education, and supporting social inclusion for those furthest from the world of work. This helps grow the economy for the benefit of everyone in society. Governing body members will have the opportunity to contribute to meeting these objectives, championing first-class educational provision and supporting the skills needs of employers, helping them to develop, grow and innovate.
The Department welcomes applications from women, people with a disability, those from ethnic minorities and young people as they are all currently under-represented. A Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS), for applicants with a disability, will operate for this competition.
Details of where the vacancies are can be found at the Public Appointments - FE college governing body members page on Department's website.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 19 August 2021.
For further information on the positions, including responsibilities and selection criteria, please download or request an application pack which is available on the Department's website at public appointments.
Alternatively contact DfE Public Appointments Unit by phone on 028 9025 7634 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Further education colleges are public bodies sponsored by the Department for the Economy. The governing body is the Board which controls the college. It consists of a Chairperson and 17 members. Further information on the colleges can be found on their respective websites, BMC, NRC, NWRC, SRC and SWC.
- This is an open competition which involves an application form and interview. The competition is being run in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland Code of Practice. Independent assessment, openness and transparency are integral parts of the process. DfE is also committed to equality of opportunity for all individuals and applications are welcome regardless of gender, age, marital status, disability, religion, ethnic origin, political opinion, sexual orientation, or whether or not you have dependents.
- Appointment will be made on merit from those individuals who best satisfy the following four essential criteria: Corporate Governance; Delivering Strategy and Analytical Skills; Communication and Partnership Working and Specialist Skills. Individuals are also required to meet an eligibility criterion that they should be, or have previously been, engaged or employed in business, industry or any profession. No academic qualifications are required for the post.
- The appointments are to be effective from the end of 2021 and the initial appointment term is for a period of four years. If successful, you can expect to commit around one day per month to college business. This includes attendance at 12 - 15 full (mostly evening) governing body and committee meetings per year and representing the college at meetings/public events. The positions are remunerated at: £250 per governing body meeting; £150 per committee meeting/other event; and eligible travel/subsistence costs are paid.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- For media enquiries please contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Competition to appoint a new Chair to the Board of Northern Ireland Screen 21 October 2021
- Statement on Spend Local cards 21 October 2021
- Support local business, get your Spend Local card now: Lyons 20 October 2021
- County Antrim Director Disqualified 19 October 2021