Economy Minister Diane Dodds today marked one year to go until Northern Ireland day at Expo 2020 Dubai.
Northern Ireland will be an integral part of the UK Pavilion at the rescheduled event that will start in Dubai from October 2021. The six-month long show will include a dedicated Northern Ireland showcase on 16 February 2022.
The Minister said:
“Today marks one year to go until Northern Ireland is centre stage at the world’s largest live international event. As the world begins to recover from COVID-19, Expo 2020 Dubai will encourage international co-operation and collaboration at a time it is needed most.
“The UK Pavilion theme ‘Innovating for a Shared Future’ will be the platform for Invest Northern Ireland, our universities, tourism partners and Northern Ireland businesses to tell our story and showcase our world-class expertise to a global audience.
“It is fitting that the countdown towards Expo 2020 coincides with Northern Ireland’s Centenary Year. Throughout our history we have earned reputation for innovation at the forefront of industry backed by a highly-skilled workforce. We are proud of this reputation and we intend to maintain it. As we move into our second century, this is the perfect opportunity to show the world what Northern Ireland has to offer.
“We are working closely with our colleagues in the Department for International Trade to ensure strong Northern Ireland representation throughout the entire six-month programme and capitalise as much as possible on Northern Ireland’s showcase day.
“Expo 2020 Dubai will also be a valuable opportunity to deepen Northern Ireland’s special relationship with the United Arab Emirates. Northern Ireland companies have made great strides in this market in recent years. Indeed, the UAE is a strong export partner with Northern Ireland companies exporting over £50million of exports from October 2019 to September 2020.”
Expo 2020 Dubai will be staged from 1 October 2021 – 31 March 2022.
The Minister continued:
“With over 192 nations represented, Expo 2020 Dubai represents a unique opportunity to build our global networks. We are all aware that COVID-19 has had a detrimental impact on global economies and importantly, on how people connect. Expo 2020 Dubai is an opportunity to deepen our bond with the UAE, pave the way for connections with other countries and showcase Northern Ireland on the world’s stage.”
Kevin Holland, Invest NI’s CEO said:
“With one year to go until Northern Ireland’s showcase at Expo in Dubai, we are ramping up preparations to showcase the best of Northern Ireland to the world.
“Visitors to Expo 2020 Dubai will experience Northern Ireland’s world-class innovation, our strong entrepreneurial spirit and our excellent education in an incredible immersive experience. The mega-event will raise Northern Ireland’s profile and inspire visitors to learn more about Northern Ireland - it will be a fantastic way to experience our world renowned welcome, energy and creativity.”
Expo 2020 Dubai is the first World Expo to be held in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA) region. The business programme includes investment forums, pitching sessions, inspirational talks and other key business events. More information can be obtained at the Expo 2020 Dubi page on the Invest NI website.
Notes to editors:
- Caption: An adaptation of the UK pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai, which will be based in the Opportunity District. Northern Ireland will be an integral part of the UK Pavilion in the next World Expo in Dubai, now taking place from 1 October 2021 - 31 March 2022 under the theme of ‘Innovating for a Shared Future’.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI.
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- County Antrim and County Armagh directors agree to disqualification 02 March 2021
- Dodds announces 25 training places on Assured Skills Academy with Deloitte 01 March 2021
- Minister calls for extension to furlough scheme 26 February 2021
- Minister launches Economic Recovery Action Plan 25 February 2021