The Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency has today released headline results from the 2019 Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry (ABI) survey.
Growth in aGVA, turnover and purchases between 2018 and 2019
The key findings include:
- Total aGVA was estimated to be worth £26.2 billion at basic prices in 2019. This represented a rise of 9.7% (£2.3 billion) compared to 2018.
- Turnover for NI businesses increased by 4.6% between 2018 and 2019 to £71.9 billion, while the cost of purchases of goods, services and energy increased by 0.5% to £46.4 billion.
Growth in the production, construction, distribution and non-financial services sectors
- The key driver of aGVA growth was in the NI non-financial services sector which increased by £1,354 million (14.7%) between 2018 and 2019. The majority of aGVA growth in this sector is attributable to the transport and storage section which increased by £548 million (34.1%).
- Retail and wholesale trade within the distribution sector recorded aGVA growth of £614 million (10.9%).
- aGVA in the construction sector recorded a growth of £254 million (9.3%).
- aGVA in the production sector increased by £86 million (1.4%) from 2018 to 2019.
- Full detailed results are available in the Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry Statistics Bulletin
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries, please contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Feedback is welcomed and should be addressed to Daniel Hogg, Economic & Labour Market Statistics Branch (ELMS), on 028 9025 5169 or at Daniel.Hogg@nisra.gov.uk
- Follow ELMS on Twitter
- Reopening close contact services is the next step towards better days: Dodds 23 April 2021
- Poots and Dodds announce review into future of agri-food sector 23 April 2021
- Dodds announces payments to be extended under two business support schemes 23 April 2021
- Dodds announces 20 high quality training places for the north west with Alchemy Technology Services 21 April 2021