Economy Minister Gordon Lyons has reappointed Dr Nicholas O’Shiel as governing body Chair of South West College.
The reappointment will be for a further period of four years with effect from 7 January 2023.
This is a regulated appointment and has been made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available on the CPANI website.
Notes to editors:
1. South West College (SWC) is one of six further education colleges in Northern Ireland sponsored by the Department for the Economy (DfE). Colleges are non-departmental public bodies of DfE, which are established under the Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997. Each governing body (GB) is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In delivering college services, the GB takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. The post of GB Chair is remunerated at a rate of £20,000 per annum, plus travel and subsistence allowances which are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates in respect of activities carried out whilst fulfilling their duties.
3. Dr Nicholas O’Shiel is Chief Executive of Omagh Enterprise Company. Former roles include Chairman of Enterprise Northern Ireland, President of Omagh Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of Omagh Local Strategy Partnership and Chairman of Omagh Business Forum Ltd. In recognition of his achievements, Dr O’Shiel is a recipient of the Queen’s Award for outstanding contribution to enterprise. He is a member of the Institute of Directors and a Companion of the Chartered Management Institute. He holds a Doctorate in Management from the Ulster University and Masters in Management from Trinity College, Dublin.
4. Dr O’Shiel has been Chair of the GB since January 2019. He previously served as a Governor of the College, and during his tenure served as Chair of the Education, Quality & Performance Committee and as a member of the Finance & General Purposes Committee.
5. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Dr O'Shiel has not carried out any political activity in the past five years.
6. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @EconomyNI
- Skills to Succeed Facebook
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
7. For media enquiries, please contact the DfE Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted 028 9037 8110.
- Temporary governing body chair appointed at Belfast Metropolitan College 21 September 2023
- Economic Output Statistics 14 September 2023
- Labour market statistics 12 September 2023
- Co. Down director agrees to disqualification 11 September 2023