Economy Minister Gordon Lyons has announced the appointment of a new Certification Officer for Northern Ireland.
Mr Tom Evans has been appointed to serve as the Certification Officer for Northern Ireland from 15 June 2022 to 14 June 2027.
The Minister commented:
“I am delighted that Tom Evans has accepted the role as the Certification Officer for Northern Ireland.
“I am confident he will bring significant experience to the role, coupled with his deep understanding of Employment Relations issues, and a keen awareness of the importance of good practice.”
This appointment is made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
1. Tom Evans has held a range of public sector senior leadership positions over the past 30 years and has extensive experience of developing and implementing public policy as it relates to the NI Labour Market. He was Head of the NI Careers Service (1989-98); then joined the Assembly Staff initially as the Clerk to the Assembly Commission and subsequently as Deputy Chief Executive with responsibility for all corporate matters. Tom returned to the NI Civil Service in 2008, joining the Department for Employment and Learning as the policy lead for Employment Law policy and legislation. In 2015 he was appointed as Chief Executive of the Labour Relations Agency and was instrumental in building very positive relationships between employers and trade unions. He received an OBE in the 2021 Birthday Honours for his services to employment relations in Northern Ireland. Tom has an MSc in Innovation Management and the IoD Diploma in Company Direction. Since his retirement in December 2020, Tom has joined the Boards of two charities. He holds no other public appointments.
2. The Certification Officer is an independent statutory person. The post, which is part-time, was established under The Industrial Relations (Northern Ireland) Order 1992.
3. NICO appointments are regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments (CPANI).
4. Certification Officer remuneration is currently £22,274 per annum with a time commitment of 2 days per week.
5. These appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Mr Evans has declared no political activity.
6. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @EconomyNI
- Skills to Succeed Facebook
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
8. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Electricity Consumption and Renewable Generation in Northern Ireland: Year Ending March 2023 08 June 2023
- Department for the Economy seeks views on 2023/24 budget 07 June 2023
- Check if your address might get faster broadband 05 June 2023
- Temporary Governing Body Chair appointed at North West Regional College 31 May 2023