Economy Minister Gordon Lyons has appointed Mr John Nugent as Chair of the Governing Body of South Eastern Regional College and Dr Thomas Moore as Chair of the Governing Body of Southern Regional College.
The appointments of both Mr Nugent and Dr Moore are effective from 1 August 2022 and are for a period of four years.
The appointments were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available on the Public Appointments NI website.
Notes to editors:
1. South Eastern Regional College and Southern Regional College are two of six further education colleges in Northern Ireland sponsored by the Department for the Economy (DfE). Colleges are non-departmental public bodies of DfE, which are established under the Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997. Each Governing Body (GB) is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In delivering college services, the GB takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. The post of GB Chair is remunerated at a rate of £20,000 per annum, plus travel and subsistence allowances which are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates in respect of activities carried out whilst fulfilling their duties.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Mr Nugent and Dr Moore have not undertaken any political activity in the last five years.
4. Mr John Nugent has gained extensive leadership, strategy formulation and governance experience in Northern Ireland and overseas over the last 35 years. This includes the delivery of major capital development programmes and environmental initiatives in the Further and Higher education sectors. He has been a Board Member of Southern Regional College since 2015, acting as Vice-Chair from 2017. During this period he chaired the Audit and Risk Committee and provided Governing Body oversight and assurance for the College’s £105m Capital Investment Programme. In this role he receives remuneration of £250 for a governing body meeting; £150 for a committee meeting or an event sanctioned by the Chair. Mr Nugent retired from Queen’s University Belfast in 2020 having successfully delivered the University’s £750m Capital Investment Programme together with the institution’s award winning Carbon Management Strategy. He has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering and was formerly a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (retired in 2020).
5. Dr Thomas Moore is a former Principal and Chief Executive of a further education college in England. He was previously the Academic Provost and Executive Dean for Health, Social Care and Education in a Welsh university, and has extensive experience in institutional strategy, partnership engagement and curriculum development. Dr Moore has also worked as Director of Regulation at a Welsh Regulatory Body for Nurses and Midwives and contributed to the wider NHS workforce development, in Wales, whilst working in the (then) National Assembly for Wales. He has substantive experience at Board level in several organisations. Dr Moore holds a Doctorate in Education Policy from Cardiff University. Dr Moore was, until March 2022, a Non-Executive Member of the Health & Social Care Board (NI). Dr Moore has been a Governing Body Member of Southern Regional College since January 2022. In this role he receives remuneration of £250 for a governing body meeting; £150 for a committee meeting or an event sanctioned by the Chair.
6. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @EconomyNI
- Skills to Succeed Facebook
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
7. For media enquiries, please contact the DfE Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted 028 9037 8110.
- Lyons welcomes job opportunities on the PwC Professional Services Assured Skills Academy 12 August 2022
- Harness furthers its international expansion with new Northern Ireland office and 80 jobs 11 August 2022
- Lyons highlights the importance of college-based higher education learning 09 August 2022
- Lyons announces appointments to board of Construction Industry Training Board Northern Ireland 05 August 2022