Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has welcomed a further 1.6% growth in the Northern Ireland economy in the last year.
Commenting on the Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index, the Minister said: “These statistics published by NISRA today present a positive picture of our economy and demonstrate that we are moving in the right direction.
"Growth in the economy and economic activity as a result of rises in the Services, Construction and Production sectors is encouraging. Importantly it is the private sector that continues to drive overall growth, again illustrating that the Executive's approach to rebalancing the economy is working.
"I am also encouraged to see that the quarterly growth in Northern Ireland activity is again greater than that recorded for the UK as a whole.
"I am totally committed to transforming Northern Ireland into a globally competitive economy.
"Being a globally competitive economy won't mean that Northern Ireland will become one of the biggest economies in the world. But what it does mean is that we will have a well earned, totally justified, evidence based reputation as one of the world's most dynamic, innovative and high performing small advanced economies.
"I want to create an economy that works for everyone in Northern Ireland where more of our companies are outward looking and exporting goods, products and services outside of our region.
"I want our economy to continue on the present path of constant improvement, growing in size and rebalancing from the public to the private sector.”
Notes to editors:
- The detailed statistical bulletin is available from the NISRA website.
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Invest NI Review Action Plan published 04 October 2023
- Reappointment of members to board of Stranmillis University College 04 October 2023
- Consultation launched on approach to 10X Technologies and Clusters 29 September 2023
- 20 high quality training places available on Business Operations Assured Skills Academy with EOS IT Solutions 29 September 2023