Economy Minister Simon Hamilton has commended Thales Advanced Weapon Systems on the company’s ongoing development.
Speaking during a tour of the company’s Belfast facility where he was briefed on its range of defence systems, Simon Hamilton said: “Thales is an outstanding example of a dynamic and innovative company which has forged a world-class reputation in what is a high value sector. Through a comprehensive programme of research and development, Thales has successfully met the rapidly changing demands of world markets, competitor action and increasingly complex defence requirements to position the company at the leading edge of defence technology.
“Allied to the company’s ground-breaking product development is a continued commitment to investment in workforce training, including its high proportion of specialised design engineering staff. Through my Department’s Assured Skills programme, we will continue to work with the Thales engineering team to develop a tailored response to future skills requirements which will help Thales gain a competitive edge in the global market.”
Thales Advanced Weapon Systems is part of the Thales Group’s Land and Air Systems Division in the UK. The company’s Northern Ireland operation is currently responsible for the design, development, manufacturing, testing and through life support of products at the leading edge of defence technology and has well established relationships with the UK MoD, as well as international customers in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, South Africa and Sweden.
The company employs around 500 people at its design and manufacturing facility in Belfast and assembly and testing facility near Crossgar.
Notes to editors:
1. For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
2. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Economy Minister highlights alternative employment opportunities 08 April 2020
- Telecoms engineers help us stay connected during social distancing – Dodds 08 April 2020
- Dodds provides update on award of vocational qualifications 08 April 2020
- Ministers highlight contribution of colleges and universities in fight against COVID-19 06 April 2020