Economy Minister Paul Frew has announced six new appointments to the board of the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI).
Mr Andrew Cooke, Dr Patricia Hart, Ms Catherine Irwin MBE, Mr Simon McDowell, Ms Siobhán Rooney and Mr Gerry Strong have been appointed to serve for three years with effect from 1 May 2021.
Commenting on the appointments, the Minister said:
“The six new members bring with them an array of skills and experience to best complement those of existing Board members. This, I believe, will make for a strong board and enhance HSENI’s overall effectiveness and success. I wish the new members well in their appointments. I would also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the contributions and commitment of current Chairperson Derek Martin and existing board members.”
The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available on the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland website.
Notes to editors:
- Pen pictures are available on the Department’s website.
- The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) is a Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB) with Crown status, funded by grant-in-aid from the Department of Economy. It was established on 1 April 1999 by an Order in Council amending the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978. Its mission is to ensure that risks to people’s health and safety arising from work activities are effectively controlled.
- The HSENI Board comprises of a Chairman, currently Derek Martin, and two members plus the six new members.
- HSENI appointments are regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments (CPANI).
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. None of the appointees have undertaken any political activity in the last five years.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com .
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Skill Up initiative helping thousands boost their career prospects – apply now 02 February 2023
- Essential Skills Enrolments and Outcomes in Northern Ireland from 2017/18 to 2021/22 30 January 2023
- Invest NI Chair appointment process to begin 26 January 2023
- Northern Ireland Business Demography Statistics 2021 26 January 2023