The Department for the Economy (DfE) has announced extensions to the terms of office of a number of board members of the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI).
The tenures of Hilary Singleton, Deputy Chair of the HSENI board, and three board members, Billy Graham, John Kane and Maynard Mawhinney, have been further extended for nine months from 1 January 2020 to 30 September 2020.
The extensions were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland (CPANI).
More information is available at CPANI website.
Notes to editors:
1. HSENI is a non-departmental public body with Crown status, funded by grant-in-aid from DfE. It was established on 1 April 1999 by an Order in Council, amending the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978. Its mission is to ensure that risks to people’s health and safety arising from work activities are effectively controlled. Remuneration for board members is currently £3,980 per annum (including the Deputy Chair).
2. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. The extendees have all declared no political activity.
3. Pen pictures:
Hilary Singleton is a former practising solicitor, Hilary spent her professional career as a legal practitioner in private practice. Hilary currently serves as a board member of the International Fund for Ireland and as a member of the Local Government Staff Commission (for which she receives a daily rate of £123). She is also a Director of Mid-Armagh Community Network and was a member of the Compact Civil Advisory Panel. Hilary was appointed to the Board of HSENI in 2012. She has served as Chair of HSENI’s Audit and Risk Committee since 2014 and as Deputy Chair of HSENI since 2015.
Billy Graham was the Chief Operating Officer of Northern Ireland Electricity from 2003 until his retirement in September 2011. Billy had previously held a number of management and engineering roles in the company, including General Manager Construction and Maintenance Services (1996 to 2000), and Managing Director Networks and Customer Service (2000 to 2003). Billy is currently a Non-Executive Director on the Board of the Northern Health and Social Care Trust (remuneration £8,842 per annum). He has been a member of the HSENI board since 2012.
John Kane retired in May 2010 following a career in the public sector with responsibilities for change management, performance management, training and communications. He has been a member of the HSENI board since 2012 and until recently was a member of the Audit and Risk Management Committee. He does not hold any other public appointments.
Maynard Mawhinney currently holds directorships with the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust, where he also chairs the Trust's Finance Committee (remuneration of £7,960 per annum). He is a member of the College Advisory Group for CAFRE, is a non-executive Director with Around Noon Ltd. He also provides agri-food consultancy to BDO and has been a member of the HSENI board since 2012. He is married to Hazel and has two grown up sons. Maynard is keen on hiking, travel and family activities.
4. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_ni
5. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Dodds: Northern Ireland can lead the way in hydrogen energy 10 July 2020
- Economy Minister announces £1million export success for White’s Speedicook 10 July 2020
- Dodds welcomes increase in Foreign Direct Investment projects in Northern Ireland 10 July 2020
- Dodds visits Craigavon area companies 10 July 2020