The Department for the Economy has announced extensions to the terms of office of a number of chairs and board members of public bodies sponsored by the Department.
Invest Northern Ireland
The tenure of Chair Mark Ennis was further extended for one month from 30 June 2019 to 31 July 2019. Rose Mary Stalker was appointed Chair on 1st August.
Northern Regional College
The tenure of member Richard Jay has been further extended for seven months from 30 June 2019 to 24 January 2020.
Stranmillis University College
The tenure of Chair Professor Sir Desmond Rea and members Ken Nelson, Robert Thompson, Dr Esmond Birnie, Richard Hanna, Edgar Jardine, Claire Moore and William Patterson have been further extended for nine months from 30 June 2019 to 31 March 2020.
The extensions were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available on the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland website.
Notes to editors:
1. Invest Northern Ireland was established under the Industrial Development Act (Northern Ireland) 2002, and its role is to promote innovation, enterprise and competitiveness in Northern Ireland businesses, encourage new start-ups and market Northern Ireland as a location for inward investment. The Chair post is remunerated at £42,790 per annum.
2. Stranmillis University College was founded in 1922 by the then recently established Ministry of Education for Northern Ireland to provide state-funded teacher training alongside that already available at the existing St Mary’s College. Both institutions have become academically recognised as university colleges of Queen’s University Belfast. Stranmillis offers teacher training for the primary and secondary school sectors as well as professional development courses, a BA in Early Childhood Studies and a BSc in Health, Physical Activity and Sport. Chair and Governing Body posts attract no remuneration but members can receive reasonable travel and subsistence payments for attending meetings.
3. Northern Regional College is one of the six Northern Ireland further education colleges. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community. The post of Governing Body member is remunerated at £250 for a Governing Body meeting and £150 for a committee meeting or event sanctioned by the Chair. Travel and subsistence allowances are also payable for both Governing Body Chairs and members at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates.
4. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. The extendees have all declared no political activity.
5. Pen pictures are available at the Extensions to DfE public appointments - August 2019 page .
6. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_ni
7. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Public appointment opportunity within further education sector 14 January 2021
- Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index Quarter 3 2020 14 January 2021
- Dodds announces £20m support scheme for company directors 14 January 2021
- Check where and when broadband improvement scheme will be rolled out 12 January 2021