The Office of the Industrial Tribunals and Fair Employment Tribunal has announced that Judicial Mediation will be offered to appropriate cases before the Tribunals.
Making the announcement the President of the Industrial Tribunals and Fair Employment Tribunal, Mr Noel Kelly, said:
“This scheme will offer claimants the opportunity to sit down with their employers and a specially trained Employment Judge, in an informal space, and attempt to resolve the employment dispute without the need for long, protracted and often stressful litigation.”
Judicial Mediation is a form of alternative dispute resolution in which an Employment Judge will act as an impartial mediator and will help the parties find an acceptable solution without having to go to a full hearing. It involves bringing the parties together in an informal, private and confidential way.
Mr Kelly concluded:
“It is hoped that the scheme will be as effective as it has been in England, Wales and Scotland where over 65% of cases mediated reached a successful settlement on the day of mediation.”
Notes to editors:
1. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at: email@example.com
2. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @DeptEconomyNI
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.