Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has welcomed an increase in gross weekly earnings for full-time employees.
Commenting following the publication of the latest Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings the Minister said: “The increase in earnings for Northern Ireland employees is welcome. This is the second consecutive increase in earnings which exceeded the rate of inflation. It is encouraging that the rate of growth in full-time median gross earnings in Northern Ireland mirrored that in the United Kingdom.
"Ensuring that work pays is clearly very important for inclusive growth and so I am very pleased that the growth in earnings in the private sector was concentrated in lower pay occupations. For example those in the lowest 10% of the private sector full-time weekly earnings distribution experienced a much larger increase (5.8%) than those in the highest 10% (1.2%).
"My vision is to transform Northern Ireland into a globally competitive economy. I want that economy to be a better economy for everyone in Northern Ireland. Over the last few weeks I have travelled to the United Arab Emirates and Chicago to promote Northern Ireland as a place very much open for business. Last year Invest NI supported businesses to promote 5550 jobs. This is the right direction of travel and I will do all that I can to get local people working and earning more so that everyone has the opportunity to share in the gains of growing prosperity.”
Notes to editors:
- More detailed statistical information and details of the methodology used can be found at the NISRA website.
- General information can be obtained from Brian Grogan, Economic & Labour Market Statistics Branch, on Tel: 028 9052 9311.
- For media enquiries, please contact DfE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Outside office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Invest NI Review Action Plan published 04 October 2023
- Reappointment of members to board of Stranmillis University College 04 October 2023
- Consultation launched on approach to 10X Technologies and Clusters 29 September 2023
- 20 high quality training places available on Business Operations Assured Skills Academy with EOS IT Solutions 29 September 2023