Economy Minister Paul Frew has highlighted the importance of the advanced manufacturing and engineering sector to Northern Ireland’s economic recovery.
Minister Frew was speaking after visits to Gray & Adams Ireland Ltd in Newtownabbey and Bamford Bus Company Ltd (trading as Wrightbus) in Ballymena.
The Minister said:
“I am pleased to have been able to visit Gray & Adams and Bamford Bus Company as part of my engagement with key stakeholders across the business community. As Economy Minister it is vital I hear first-hand the challenges and opportunities our businesses are currently facing.
“These companies are prime examples of ones that embrace innovation and excellence in all that they do.”
Gray & Adams Ltd has been manufacturing in Northern Ireland since 1981. Their market leading products include refrigerated trailers and truck bodies, as well as specialist vehicles. The company also provides repair and service facilities.
Bamford Bus Company is one of the leading players in the development of a local hydrogen economy with its work on zero-emissions transport.
The Minister continued:
“My Department’s 10X Economy vision sets out how a decade of innovation will benefit businesses, people and places across Northern Ireland. Advanced manufacturing and engineering is one of the priority clusters we have identified as having the potential to drive our economy forward.
“Our manufacturing sector has a strong heritage and a world-class reputation. It accounts for 11% of employment and over 15% of GVA. As we work to rebuild our economy after Covid-19, it is important for us to focus on our strengths.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Make sure your business is Good to Go – Lyons 04 August 2021
- Business Register and Employment Survey 2020 03 August 2021
- Lyons announces new Deloitte Cloud Engineering Assured Skills Academy 02 August 2021
- Net zero carbon and affordable energy key to Energy Strategy 2050 – Lyons 02 August 2021