Economy Minister Diane Dodds has welcomed today’s decision by the Executive to regularise travel arrangements in Northern Ireland with that of the other UK jurisdictions within the Common Travel Area (CTA).
The decision removes the current requirement for those visiting or returning to Northern Ireland from within the CTA to self-isolate.
Minister Dodds said:
“This is a significant decision for Northern Ireland and will avoid any confusion that travellers from and to Northern Ireland were facing as a result of the continued restrictions here.
“By ensuing that our policy remains consistent with decisions already taken in other jurisdictions we will now also be able to market Northern Ireland as tourist destination throughout Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland.
“The pandemic has devastated our tourism industry and today’s announcement will provide great hope for a successful summer. Our neighbours can now freely visit Northern Ireland and enjoy all the attractions we have to offer here, providing our economy with a much needed boost.”
It remains the case that those who travel into Northern Ireland should not travel if they know they are positive or if they are exhibiting covid symptoms. Travellers should continue to take tests at days Two and Eight of their visit and should self-isolate if positive.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries, contact the DfE Press Office at email@example.com
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Lyons officially opens new £30m Erne Campus of South West College 22 September 2021
- Be ready with key information when applying for Spend Local card: Lyons 20 September 2021
- Economy Minister Gordon Lyons announces new Assured Skills Academy with PwC 20 September 2021
- Lyons praises Northern Ireland film industry on visit to ‘Dungeon and Dragons’ set 19 September 2021