Economy Minister Diane Dodds today announced funding to provide bursaries which will enable 100 students to undertake a master’s degree.
Up to £1.8million funding for 100 bursaries for additional master’s courses in 2021/22 will be administered by Queen’s University Belfast and Ulster University.
Each student will have their fees paid and receive a £10,000 payment, with funding provided by the Department for the Economy (DfE).
The bursaries are funded through the Department’s Postgraduate Award Scheme, which currently pays the course fees and support payment for approximately 729 postgraduate students studying each year.
Minister Dodds said:
“This new initiative for bursaries to enable 100 students to take up extra master’s course places is particularly welcome, as it is being announced during Northern Ireland’s centenary year.
“The funding will help provide the critical skills that we need as part of our response to the Covid pandemic, and will contribute to laying the foundations for economic recovery in Northern Ireland.
“One hundred students will be funded to undertake a one year taught master’s course in 2021/22. Under the existing terms of the Department’s Postgraduate Award Scheme at least 85 of the places will be available to Northern Ireland and Great Britain students, with up to 15 being available to international students, reinforcing Northern Ireland’s attractiveness as a place to study and work. These new bursaries will support the skills policy objectives set out in my 10X Vision for the Northern Ireland economy, by contributing to the development of a strong and relevant pipeline of skills.
“I am confident that this initiative, along with other measures in the Department’s Economic Recovery Action Plan, will place the Northern Ireland economy on a strong footing as it moves forward into its next 100 years.”
Further details will be announced in due course.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries, contact the DfE Press Office at email@example.com
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Northern Ireland Labour Force Survey – Young People Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET) 22 February 2024
- County Down director agrees to disqualification 21 February 2024
- Murphy announces details of flood support programme for businesses 21 February 2024
- Minister sets out his vision for the economy 19 February 2024