The winners of this year’s Apprentice of the Year have been revealed at a special ceremony in Belfast City Hall today.
The Apprentice of the Year awards are designed to showcase and raise awareness of the Apprenticeship and Higher Level Apprenticeship programmes and acknowledge excellence between the employer and Training Suppliers.
The 2018 winners in the three categories are:
- Apprentice of the Year (level 2-3) – Tammy Whelan
- Higher Level Apprentice of the Year (Level 4+) – Sarah Gillespie
- Employer Innovation Award – BT and Babcock Training, and Southern Regional College and Norbrook
Speaking at the awards ceremony the Department’s Permanent Secretary Noel Lavery said:
“I would like to commend everyone who was shortlisted for this year’s awards and congratulations to all of the 2018 winners.
“These awards are essential in helping to recognise apprentices' commitment and hard work. Apprentices make a significant contribution, bringing new and innovative ideas to the workplace.
“May I also congratulate the winners of the Employer Innovation Award. Without their involvement and willingness to share their expertise it would not be possible to offer apprenticeship programmes. It is the involvement of companies such as these that helps to support individuals in developing their skills and advancing on their chosen career path.”
Apprentice of the Year 2018 is Tammy Whelan, based at ARUP with training taking place at Belfast Met.
Higher Level Apprentice of the Year is Sarah Gillespie, based at Fujitsu and training at North West Regional College.
Recognising their excellence in the design and delivery of Apprenticeship training are BT and Babcock Training, and Southern Regional College and Norbrook.
Notes to editors:
- For more information on the Apprentice of the Year 2018 application criteria please visit the DfE website.
- For additional pictures of the winners and awards ceremony please contact the Department’s Press Office.
- For further information, please contact DfE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the EIS Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- NWRC offers new training opportunities in welding 18 January 2019
- Danske Bank launches further Assured Skills Academy in North West 10 January 2019
- Southern Regional College launches Assured Skills Welding Academy 09 January 2019
- Extensions to Department for the Economy public appointments 09 January 2019