Circular Economy Strategic Framework (CESF)
Working in partnership with Strategic Investment Board, the project was initiated in October 2019 with the following aims:
- Increased collaboration and partnership working amongst CE stakeholders
- More joined-up activity between Government Departments, local government and the private sector on CE issues
- Enhanced understanding of the Northern Ireland CE ecosystem
- A clear vision and ambition set out in the framework to inform a future CE Strategy
- A stronger evidence base to support the challenges and opportunities for CE in Northern Ireland
- A central repository for CE activities to provide information and advice.
Circular Economy Coalition
A Circular Economy Coalition (advisory panel) has been established to facilitate broad stakeholder engagement, members of the Coalition include representatives of industry, academia, local Government, the third sector and key NICS colleagues. A Call for Evidence (CFE) was issued Coalition members in May 2021.The purpose of the CFE was to gather information specific to NI outlining the current barriers to, and opportunities for, increasing Circularity in NI.
Developing the CESF is overseen by a cross departmental steering group which includes representatives across all government departments to ensure the framework is not developed in isolation.
The project team have commissioned Circle Economy to undertake a NI Circularity Gap Report (CGR). The gap report will baseline how circular the economy is within NI and provide the ability to benchmark against other regions. The gap report will include policy options, development of metrics, scenario planning and a focus chapter on jobs and skills as well as an online jobs monitor.
The Circular Economy Strategic Framework will complement and align with the Departments 10x Economic Vision, Energy Strategy, Skills Strategy and DAERA’s Green Growth Strategy in addition to other cross cutting government strategies. Transitioning from a linear to a circular economy will significantly reduce GHG emissions in Northern Ireland, mitigate against climate change and contribute to our net zero ambition.
The CESF is expected to be published for public consultation in the autumn of 2022.
For Further info contact: Louise McArdle
Telephone: 028 9052 9900
- Circularity Gap Reporting Initiative - Home (circularity-gap.world)
- Knowledge Hub | Circle Lab (circle-lab.com)