The Department for the Economy has welcomed delegates to Northern Ireland as part of a two day visit aimed at helping local businesses to explore export markets.
The visit comes as part of the Department’s involvement in a partnership project as one of eight European organisations looking to address the barriers Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) face when deciding to trade internationally and improve existing support programmes.
The project is part of a €1.47million ‘Inside Out EU’ programme funded by Interreg Europe and the European Regional Development Fund. Other representatives include the Government of Navarre, Spain, as lead partner, the Province of Overijssel, Netherlands, Hedmark County Council, Norway, Varmland County Administrative Board and Karlstad University, Sweden, Basilicata Region, Italy and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Hajdú-Bihar County, Hungary.
Speaking in Belfast as the delegates arrived Noel Lavery, Permanent Secretary, said: “Supporting SMEs to explore export markets and develop international business opportunities is one of the key commitments within the Department for the Economy’s draft Industrial Strategy.
“To drive economic growth, we need to ensure that we create the right conditions for our new and existing indigenous businesses to grow and prosper. Inside Out EU provides a valuable opportunity to learn from other regions, helping to actively develop networks and explore issues such as barriers to exports which could influence future support policies for SMEs.
“This two day visit by the delegates is an invaluable opportunity to showcase Northern Ireland, our local businesses and entrepreneurship as well as enhance our regional and international partnerships.”
Notes to editors:
- The two day visit will showcase Northern Ireland to delegates through a series of engagements including visits to Invest Northern Ireland and the Deluxe Group in Portadown.
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Labour market statistics 21 January 2020
- Minister announces introduction of Early Conciliation in Northern Ireland for employment-related tribunals 17 January 2020
- Dodds: further education delivers significant benefits to learners, businesses and wider society 17 January 2020
- Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index Quarter 3 2019 published 16 January 2020