The Department for the Economy has launched a public appointment competition to recruit a governing body Chair for Northern Regional College (NRC).
Economy Minister Diane Dodds said:
“Developing the skills of our people right across Northern Ireland is a key priority for me as we begin the process of rebuilding our economy and I am determined to keep skills at the centre of our long term strategic plans.
“This is an exciting and significant opportunity to substantively influence the provision of education and skills in Northern Ireland. The successful candidate can help us provide the skills to support economic recovery post Covid-19 and sustain our aim of building a modern economy, which includes supporting the most disadvantaged by ensuring access to learning that leads to sustainable career pathways.
“If you believe you can help and want to be part of Northern Regional College’s mission to support recovery and growth in Northern Ireland, please consider applying.’’
Northern Ireland’s further education colleges play a dual role in delivering professional and technical education and supporting social inclusion for those furthest from the world of work. This helps grow the economy for the benefit of everyone in society. The Chair of NRC will play a key part in meeting these objectives, championing first-class educational provision and supporting the skills needs of employers, helping them to develop, grow and innovate.
The Department encourages applications from all sections of the community and welcomes applications from people with a disability, those from ethnic minorities and young people as they are all currently under-represented. Female Chairs are currently under-represented across all bodies sponsored by the Department and applications from females would also be particularly welcome. A Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS), for applicants with a disability, will operate for this competition.
The closing date for applications is 12.00 noon on Thursday 4 February 2021. Further information and an application pack is available on the Department's website.
Notes to editors:
- Further education colleges are public bodies sponsored by the Department for the Economy. The governing body is the board which control the college. It consists of a chairperson and seventeen members. Further information on NRC is available on its website.
- This is an open competition which involves an application form and interview. The competition is being run in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland Code of Practice. Independent assessment, openness and transparency are integral parts of the process. DfE is also committed to equality of opportunity for all individuals and applications are welcome regardless of gender, age, marital status, disability, religion, ethnic origin, political opinion, sexual orientation, or whether or not you have dependents.
- Appointment will be made on merit from those individuals who best satisfy the following six essential criteria:
- Effective Governance;
- Financial Management;
- Contribution to Strategy;
- Analysing and Using Evidence; and
- Effective Communications and Working Relationships.
- Individuals are also required to meet an eligibility criterion that they should be, or have previously been, engaged or employed in business, industry or any profession. No academic qualifications are required for the post.
- The appointment is to be effective from 1 July 2021 and the initial appointment term is for a period of four years. The successful candidate can expect to commit around one day a week to college business. This includes attendance at governing body meetings, involvement in sub-committees, representing the college at events and interaction with the Department. The position is remunerated at £20,000 per annum, along with expenses in line with Northern Ireland Civil Service terms and conditions.
- For media enquiries please contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- 14 January 2021
- Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index Quarter 3 2020 14 January 2021
- Dodds announces £20m support scheme for company directors 14 January 2021
- Check where and when broadband improvement scheme will be rolled out 12 January 2021