Economy Minister Diane Dodds has announced an additional £1.4million to alleviate student hardship, bringing the total available to £5.6million in the 2020/21 financial year.
Commenting on the announcement, the Minister said: “Each year my Department makes available support funds to the local Higher Education Institutions for distribution to students who can demonstrate genuine financial hardship.
“This year I have been acutely aware more students will be facing additional financial pressure and challenges as a result of Covid-19.
“In May of this year the Executive approved my bid for an additional £1.4million to support students who have been suffering financially due to the impacts of the virus. I am now pleased to be able to announce a further £1.4million to address financial hardship from my Department and as a result of this we are now able to increase the total of the student hardship fund to £5.6million.”
The Minister added: “I would encourage any students who may be experiencing financial hardship as a result of Covid-19, or for any other reason, to contact their Higher Education Institution to determine if they are eligible to receive support.”
Notes to editors:
- £1.4m was approved by the Executive on the 19 May 2020 for use for Covid-19 related student hardship.
- The additional £1.4m was sourced through the Department’s June monitoring and will be resourced from the Department for the Economy budget.
- This additional funding has been added to the approx. £2.8m previously awarded to Northern Ireland Higher Education Institutions for the 2020/21 financial year.
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Economic output statistics 17 September 2020
- Minister announces £1million investment by County Down manufacturer Priory Press Packaging 16 September 2020
- Labour Market Statistics 15 September 2020
- Northern Ireland can be a global leader in hydrogen energy – Dodds 15 September 2020