The latest experimental Broad Economy Sales and Exports Statistics (BESES) for 2016 were published today by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA).
The bulletin can be accessed via NISRA website
Total value of external sales increased by 4.2%
1.The total value of external sales by Northern Ireland (NI) companies was estimated to be worth £24.1 billion in 2016. This represents an increase of 4.2% over the year in current prices. This compared to a rise in the previous year of 2.2%.
External sales are comprised of:
i) Sales to Great Britain (GB)
ii) Exports (sales to the Republic of Ireland (RoI), the Rest of Europe (RoEU) and the Rest of the World (RoW)).
a) Sales to GB increased by £281 million to £14.0 billion, up 2.0% over the year. These are the highest level of sales to GB since the survey began in 2011.
b) Exports increased by £686 million (7.3%) over the year to £10.1 billion, an increase which was driven by increases in the value of exports all broad destinations (RoI, RoEU and RoW). This followed a 1.6% fall in the value of total exports in 2015. The value of exports has increased by 11.1% in current prices between 2011 and 2016.
Increase in sales to Republic of Ireland, Rest of EU and Rest of the World
3. Exports to the RoI increased in 2016 by £73 million or 2.2%. This is the first year of an increase in sales to RoI, following two consecutive years of falling sales. The RoI remains our single largest export market.
a. Exports to the RoEU (excluding RoI) increased over the year by £200 million (9.4%) to £2.3 billion.
b. Exports to the RoW (all countries outside the EU) increased by £414 million (10.4%) over the year, to £4.4 billion.
4. External sales to markets outside NI are comprised of sales to GB plus the value of exports combined. These increased by £967 million to £24.1 billion, and accounted for over a third of total sales in 2016 (35.0%). This figure exceeds the previously recorded peak in 2015 (£23.2 billion), and external sales are therefore at their highest level since the survey began in 2011.
Sales within Northern Ireland increased by 1.9%
5. The BESES also shows that sales within NI increased by £829 million to £44.7 billion, up 1.9% over the year to the highest level on the survey record. When added to the value of external sales, total sales by NI companies increased by 2.7% in 2016 to £68.9 billion. Total sales increased by 11.9% between 2011 and 2016.
Number of Businesses Selling Outside NI
6. The number of businesses selling to destinations outside NI is also presented. The BESES shows that, over the year 2015 to 2016, the number of businesses selling to destinations outside NI, including GB, increased by 1.7% (201 businesses) while the number of businesses exporting rose by 0.7% (57 businesses).
Notes to editors:
1. The BESES series is designated as experimental statistics under the Code of Practice for Official Statistics reflecting the fact that they are still under development.
2. This bulletin provides information on the value of sales and exports generated by businesses in Northern Ireland. Figures for 2016 are provisional and may be subject to revision. This information is consistent with results for the non-financial business economypublishedby NISRA in December 2017 (Annual Business Inquiry (ABI)).
3. The Code of Practice for Official Statistics recommends releasing statistical work in progress, such as experimental statistics. These are defined as “new official statistics undergoing evaluation that are published in order to involve users and stakeholders in their development and as a means to build in quality at an early stage”.
4. More detailed statistical information including data tables and definitions of the methodology used is available on the NISRA website.
5. For media enquiries, please contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604 or email@example.com. Outside office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076623 974383 and your call will be returned.
6. General information can be obtained from Damian Buchanan, Economic & Labour Market Statistics Branch, on Tel: (028) 9052 9648 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Follow ELMS on Twitter @ELMSNISRA
- 24 May 2018
- Labour Market Statistics 15 May 2018
- Youth Training and Level 3 Apprenticeship Pilot Activity Statistical Bulletins published 10 May 2018
- Higher Level Apprenticeship Pilot Activity Statistical Bulletin published 10 May 2018