Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has said that whilst Holywood baker Andrew Smyth didn’t win the 2016 Great British Bake Off, he is still a Northern Ireland food hero.
Simon Hamilton said: “As we are in the final months of the 2016 Year of Food and Drink, it was fantastic to have an amateur baker from Northern Ireland in the Great British Bake Off final.
“It has been great to watch Andrew who learnt to bake from his mum and grandmother, carry on the tradition of their homely recipes. Whilst the youngest of the finalists, Andrew showcased his tremendous skills producing some impressive and elaborate creations.
“The show watched by millions of people is an excellent platform to showcase Andrew’s creativity and excellence and I wish him every success in the future.”
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Invest NI Review Action Plan published 04 October 2023
- Reappointment of members to board of Stranmillis University College 04 October 2023
- Consultation launched on approach to 10X Technologies and Clusters 29 September 2023
- 20 high quality training places available on Business Operations Assured Skills Academy with EOS IT Solutions 29 September 2023