Economy Minister, Simon Hamilton MLA, has welcomed a continued increase in the strong export performance of Northern Ireland companies in today’s HMRC export data.
Commenting on the results, Minister Hamilton stated: “These latest results from the HMRC which show a 6% increase on a rolling twelve month period is extremely welcome. This is particularly encouraging, given that once again we are the leading region of the UK in terms of export growth and with only marginal growth of 0.2% across the UK as a whole being reported.
"I commend our local businesses as they have embraced the Executive’s focus on exports by expanding into new markets and developing existing relationships further. I am convinced that this continued export performance demonstrates that we are on the right path to establishing Northern Ireland as a truly globally competitive economy.
"I want to build on this firm foundation of strong export performance and that is why I recently launched the Trade Accelerator and a new International Trade Plan both of which will help exporters take full advantage of opportunities in external markets.”
Notes to editors:
- The latest 12 month rolling period (Oct 2015-Sep 2016) exports increased by +6.0% compared to the same period one year ago (up from £6.99bn to £7.41bn).Of the four UK countries, Northern Ireland, England and Wales saw an increase in exports over the latest 12 month rolling period (NI +6.0%, England +0.6%, Wales +0.3%), whilst Scotland experienced a decrease of -7.3%. For the UK overall it was +0.2%.
- Media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Minister announces Neueda to expand in Belfast with 230 new jobs 06 August 2020
- Minister delivers keynote speech to Shoosmiths Business Web Seminar 06 August 2020
- County Tyrone motor trader fined and ordered to pay compensation for falsifying car documents 05 August 2020
- Economy Minister Diane Dodds highlights the strengths and potential of Northern Ireland’s Life and Health Sciences sector 04 August 2020