Economy Minister Simon Hamilton has visited Moore Concrete Products Ltd in Ballymena.
Moore Concrete Products Ltd was established in 1978 and is a manufacturer of specialist pre-cast concrete products for the building, civil engineering and agricultural markets.
Speaking as he met management and staff at the Ballymena factory, Minister Hamilton said: “It is a pleasure to visit Moore Concrete Ltd, an award winning company that has been manufacturing in the Ballymena area for almost 40 years. Companies like Moore Concrete are at the heart of the Northern Ireland economy driving job creation as well as making a significant contribution to export levels.
I want to transform Northern Ireland into a globally competitive economy. The new Programme for Government framework contains a set of outcomes which reflect our ambitions to grow the economy and improve our economic competitiveness. A refocused economic strategy will further support and reflect our ambition to rebalance the local economy.
Reducing the rate of Corporation Tax to 12.5% from 2018 will be a powerful lever that can stimulate economic prosperity. It is important that we continue with this work in preparation for this important change and to maximise the opportunity that a lower Corporation Tax rate will bring.
In conclusion Simon Hamilton said: “Skills development is perhaps the single most important building block for constructing a globally competitive economy. Firms like Moore Concrete demonstrate that ongoing skills development are an elevator to economic prosperity and social inclusion and I am determined that we continue to build upon the progress already made and use skills to change lives and transform our economy.”
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DfE Press Office on tel: 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Telecoms engineers help us stay connected during social distancing – Dodds 08 April 2020
- Dodds provides update on award of vocational qualifications 08 April 2020
- Economy Minister highlights alternative employment opportunities 08 April 2020
- Ministers highlight contribution of colleges and universities in fight against COVID-19 06 April 2020