Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has praised local manufacturing for being the most innovative sector in Northern Ireland.
Speaking as the Northern Ireland results from the UK Innovation Survey 2015 were published, the Minister said: “Northern Ireland has a strong manufacturing base which makes a very significant contribution to our local economy. It is no surprise therefore that this survey shows manufacturing is leading the way in innovation with 87% of companies manufacturing electrical and optical equipment engaged in innovation and 84% of companies manufacturing transport equipment engaged in innovation. The average across all sectors surveyed was 45%.
"Having increasingly innovative companies is hugely important for our economy. It supports economic growth, competitiveness and our exports efforts as innovative companies are much better placed for success in commercial markets.
"I am pleased to see that overall Northern Ireland’s innovation performance continues on an upward trajectory and I want us to get to a position where innovation becomes second nature.”
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland results from the UK Innovation Survey 2015
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Competition to appoint new Board Members for the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland 24 November 2020
- Fermanagh business set to create 88 new jobs in over £5m investment 23 November 2020
- Dodds announces 20 high quality training places with FinTrU in the north west 23 November 2020
- Dodds welcomes £213 million support package for businesses 23 November 2020