Northern Ireland competitors have triumphed at the Skills Show in Birmingham, bringing home six gold, four silver, five bronze medals and four high commendations.
The Skills Show is the UK’s largest skills and careers event and is designed to reward talent and drive up levels of expertise in apprenticeships, skills and further education. The UK’s most talented apprentices and learners competed at this year’s Show which took place from 17 to 19 November 2016 at the NEC, Birmingham.
Congratulating the Northern Ireland winners, Economy Minister Simon Hamilton said: “Northern Ireland’s success at this UK competition is testament to the impressive talent, hard work and commitment of our young people coupled with the high standards of training in our colleges.
“Our competitors have once again shown they have the skills to succeed and excel against the UK’s most talented apprentices and learners.
“Four of our local colleges ranked in the top ten UK Skills medal table. This most recent success builds on our impressive track record at previous regional, national and world level skills competitions.”
Over 75,000 people attended The Skills Show and watched over 500 apprentices and learners battle it out in over 50 skills competitions, ranging from construction and engineering through to digital and hospitality, with the aim of being named ‘UK Champion’ in their chosen skill. Visitors to The Skills Show were also able to ‘Have a Go’ at different skills and meet with employers and advisors to receive the latest information on apprenticeships and other training opportunities.
Those who excel in the WorldSkills UK competitions may be invited to join the training programme to represent the UK at the international WorldSkills competitions, which take place every two years in cities around the world.
Notes to editors:
- A full list of the Northern Ireland winners is available at the DfE website.
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Competition to appoint new Board Members for the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland 24 November 2020
- Fermanagh business set to create 88 new jobs in over £5m investment 23 November 2020
- Dodds announces 20 high quality training places with FinTrU in the north west 23 November 2020
- Dodds welcomes £213 million support package for businesses 23 November 2020