Economy Minister Simon Hamilton has attended the British Ladies Amateur Open Strokeplay Championship which is taking place at Knock Golf Club.
The Championship is taking place from 31 August to 2 September and entrance is free.
Speaking at the Championship, Minister Hamilton said: “I am hugely impressed with the quality golf I have seen today. I commend Knock Golf Club and all those involved in organising the Championship.
“Events such as this continue to boost our golfing profile with golf tourism proving to be a key element in growing the Northern Ireland economy. The huge success of our local players, the high quality of golf courses available and the ability to hosts events such as this proves that Northern Ireland is an exceptional destination for golf.”
The Minister concluded: “As the Minister responsible for tourism I aim to see Northern Ireland achieve its potential to become an internationally competitive and inspiring visitor destination, creating jobs and growing our local economy and golf will be integral in achieving this objective.”
A copy of Tourism NI’s Strategic Review of Golf Tourism in Northern Ireland 2015-2020 is available at Tourism NI.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Photos will be available to accompany this news release.
- Economy Minister highlights alternative employment opportunities 08 April 2020
- Telecoms engineers help us stay connected during social distancing – Dodds 08 April 2020
- Dodds provides update on award of vocational qualifications 08 April 2020
- Ministers highlight contribution of colleges and universities in fight against COVID-19 06 April 2020