The Department for the Economy has today published an Official Statistics bulletin entitled 'Further Education Sector Activity in Northern Ireland: 2015/16 to 2019/20'.
This statistical bulletin presents a range of analysis regarding enrolments and students (both regulated and non-regulated) in the Northern Ireland Further Education (FE) Sector, covering academic years 2015/16 to 2019/20. This analysis covers the characteristics of those enrolling in FE Colleges across a range of variables, including: sex, age, mode of attendance, provision area, level of study, subject area, deprivation, funding stream, higher education and performance (retention, achievement and success rates).
- FE College enrolments have decreased by a net 14.0%, from 153,817 in 2015/16 to 132,354 in 2019/20; this includes a 10.6% fall on 2018/19 (148,002), linked partly to COVID-19. Medium-term factors include fewer part-time enrolments, improved school exam performance and a ‘demographic dip’ in 16-19-year-olds.
- Over the period 2015/16 to 2019/20, the regulated share of enrolments has fallen in net terms, from 84.0% to 81.4%.
- Of the 107,760 regulated FE Sector enrolments in 2019/20, nearly four-fifths (78.9%) were at ‘Level 2’ (equivalent to GCSE A*-C) or above.
- Higher Education enrolments at FE Colleges have decreased by a net 11.2%, from 11,631 in 2015/16 to 10,323 in 2019/20.
- A quarter (25.5%) fewer qualifications were awarded in FE Colleges in 2019/20 (65,659) than in 2015/16 (88,153).
- Over the period 2015/16 to 2019/20, while the retention rate at FE Colleges has increased (90.2% to 91.4%), net decreases have occurred in the rates for achievement (89.4% to 86.0%) and success (80.7% to 78.6%).
- The number of students enrolled at FE Colleges has decreased by 14.5%, from 82,818 in 2015/16 to 70,847 in 2019/20.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries, please contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at: email@example.com
- Follow us on twitter
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Dodds announces 20 high quality training places for the north west with Alchemy Technology Services 21 April 2021
- Northern Ireland is ready for the return of tourists: Dodds 21 April 2021
- Economy Minister highlights partnership and collaboration to help rebuild the economy 21 April 2021
- Labour Market Statistics 20 April 2021