Economy Minister Diane Dodds has commented on today's announcement by Caterpillar.
The Minister said: "The redundancies arising from the announcement by Caterpillar today are hugely disappointing. The potential loss of up to 700 jobs would be a devastating blow to the local economy and many hard working families.
"The situation has arisen as a result of a decision made by Caterpillar at corporate level. The announcement and potential job losses are not directly related to Brexit or Covid-19.
"The company has clearly stated their announcement is not a closure announcement. I have confidence in Northern Ireland’s capability and that the Caterpillar operation will continue to be a key contributor to the manufacturing and engineering base in Northern Ireland.
"Since 2000 Caterpillar has invested £135million in Northern Ireland and been a major contributor to Northern Ireland’s reputation for manufacturing and engineering excellence.
"Invest NI will work with the Caterpillar Senior Management Team to mitigate potential impact on the Northern Ireland operation.
"The Department’s Careers Service is available to support those potentially impacted by offering free professional and impartial careers information, advice and guidance tailored to individual needs and helping people to explore future training and employment opportunities."
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Reopening close contact services is the next step towards better days: Dodds 23 April 2021
- Poots and Dodds announce review into future of agri-food sector 23 April 2021
- Dodds announces payments to be extended under two business support schemes 23 April 2021
- Dodds announces 20 high quality training places for the north west with Alchemy Technology Services 21 April 2021