Economy Minister Diane Dodds has commented on today's announcement by Caterpillar.
The Minister said: "The redundancies arising from the announcement by Caterpillar today are hugely disappointing. The potential loss of up to 700 jobs would be a devastating blow to the local economy and many hard working families.
"The situation has arisen as a result of a decision made by Caterpillar at corporate level. The announcement and potential job losses are not directly related to Brexit or Covid-19.
"The company has clearly stated their announcement is not a closure announcement. I have confidence in Northern Ireland’s capability and that the Caterpillar operation will continue to be a key contributor to the manufacturing and engineering base in Northern Ireland.
"Since 2000 Caterpillar has invested £135million in Northern Ireland and been a major contributor to Northern Ireland’s reputation for manufacturing and engineering excellence.
"Invest NI will work with the Caterpillar Senior Management Team to mitigate potential impact on the Northern Ireland operation.
"The Department’s Careers Service is available to support those potentially impacted by offering free professional and impartial careers information, advice and guidance tailored to individual needs and helping people to explore future training and employment opportunities."
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Electricity Consumption and Renewable Generation in Northern Ireland: Year Ending September 2020 03 December 2020
- Dodds announces new support scheme for newly self-employed 03 December 2020
- DfE’s £85m investment in college campus projects will boost economy: Dodds 03 December 2020
- Dodds announces 20 more high quality training places on PwC Assured Skills Academy 30 November 2020