Economy Minister Simon Hamilton has commented on the news that Bombardier Inc is to reduce its global workforce by 7,500.
The Minister said: “Today’s announcement by Bombardier will come as a great shock to the Northern Ireland workforce. The staff at Bombardier's sites across Northern Ireland are foremost in my thoughts as they face into an uncertain time ahead.
“I, and my officials in Invest NI, together with colleagues in the UK Department for Business Energy & Industrial Strategy will continue to engage with Bombardier management both here and in Canada.
"As the company works through the detail of what the impact will be here, we will do absolutely everything we can and take every opportunity available to us to highlight to senior decision makers in the company the strength of Bombardier's Northern Ireland operations and the skills of the workforce. I will do everything I can to fight to save as many Bombardier jobs in Northern Ireland as possible.”
The Minister continued: “It had been our hope that the announcement in February represented a peak in potential job losses at the company. Based on today’s announcement from Canada it is clear that the combined pressures on both its markets and the ongoing need to drive competitiveness means the organisation is having to make further changes to its business to safeguard its future.
“When I met with Michael Ryan recently he discussed with me Bombardier's ongoing challenges and it was made clear to me that government intervention would not help them address the difficulties the business is facing across the globe."
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Invest NI Review Action Plan published 04 October 2023
- Reappointment of members to board of Stranmillis University College 04 October 2023
- Consultation launched on approach to 10X Technologies and Clusters 29 September 2023
- 20 high quality training places available on Business Operations Assured Skills Academy with EOS IT Solutions 29 September 2023