Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has today published a draft Industrial Strategy for Northern Ireland.
Economy 2030, is an ambitious, long term vision to transform Northern Ireland into a globally competitive economy that works for everyone.
Speaking as the consultation period begins, Simon Hamilton set out the context. He said: “Northern Ireland has emerged from the deepest downturn in living memory and we have begun the process of rebalancing our economy.
“Unemployment has fallen, economic inactivity is down, exports are growing, tourism visitor numbers and spending are on the increase and innovation is rising. But we should not simply settle for better than it was. It is a truly transformed economy that we must set our sights upon.”
Explaining his ambitions for the Northern Ireland economy the Minister said:
“This Strategy sets out a plan to turn Northern Ireland into one of the world's most innovative and competitive small advanced economies.
“Our ambition to build a globally competitive economy will be based around the following five priority pillars for growth:
- Accelerating Innovation and Research;
- Enhancing Education, Skills and Employability;
- Driving Inclusive, Sustainable Growth;
- Succeeding in Global Markets;
- Building the Best Economic Infrastructure.
“We will offer enhanced investment and support to those market opportunities that are most likely to lead to strong and sustained economic growth.
“Every sector is vital to our economy and will be assisted but support will be strongest for those sectors and sub-sectors where we are already world class and where we can become world class. And of utmost importance we will strive, at all times, to ensure that everyone, everywhere in Northern Ireland feels the benefits of an improving economy with more jobs and rising incomes.”
Concluding the Minister said: “I firmly believe in the potential for Northern Ireland to once again become an economic powerhouse.
I would encourage all interested parties to have your say on creating a globally competitive economy. The consultation period opens today and I encourage as many of you as possible to make your views known on this hugely important subject.”
Notes to editors:
- The consultation period begins today and will run until 25 April 2017.
- The draft Northern Ireland Industrial Strategy is available from the DfE website.
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Labour Market Statistics 17 April 2018
- Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index Quarter 4 2017 published 12 April 2018
- Bridge to Employment offers chance to taste success in hospitality industry 12 April 2018
- All Ireland Scholarship Scheme open for applications 11 April 2018