Economy Minister Diane Dodds today announced a new Covid-19 support scheme for the newly self-employed.
The total budget allocated for the scheme is £10million. The Newly Self-Employed Support Scheme (NSESS) will open at 6pm today.
The Minister said:
“I am pleased to be able to announce this new support scheme which will help thousands more businesses in need across Northern Ireland.
“It will provide financial support to newly self-employed individuals (sole traders and those in partnerships) whose business is adversely impacted by Covid and who have not been able to access support from the UK government’s Self-Employed Income Support Scheme.”
A one-off taxable grant of £3,500 will be provided. This will enable support to be provided to approximately 2,900 newly self-employed individuals.
Newly self-employed individuals (sole traders and those in partnerships) will be eligible for the NSESS if they commenced trading as self-employed between 6 April 2019 and 5 April 2020 and their business has been adversely impacted by Covid-19.
Their trading profits for 2019/20 must be below £50,000 and over 50% of their income must be from self-employment.
Invest Northern Ireland will deliver the scheme on behalf of the Department for the Economy.
The scheme will close to applications at 6pm on 7 January 2021.
At scheme closure any underspend will be considered and a top-up grant may be paid to eligible applicants.
The Minister will present a scheme for limited company directors to the Executive and, subject to their approval, more details will be provided as soon as possible.
Notes to editors:
- More information on NSESS is available on the nibusinessinfo website.
- The Eligibility Checker, Guidance Notes, FAQs and Application Form will be available on the nibusinessinfo website from 6pm on Thursday 3 December.
- For media enquiries, contact the DfE Press Office at email@example.com
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- US insurance firm EverQuote to set up development centre in Northern Ireland 26 January 2021
- Labour Market Statistics 26 January 2021
- Support for students vital – Dodds 25 January 2021
- Dodds announces public appointment extensions 22 January 2021