Economy Minister Diane Dodds today announced the launch of a two-month Parental Bereavement Leave and Pay consultation.
The consultation follows the recent introduction of Parental Bereavement Leave and Pay legislation in Great Britain.
The Minister said:
"I believe that employment law should be compassionate and supportive of parents who find themselves facing this distressing situation.
"Since taking office I have been very keen to put in place provision for Parental Bereavement Leave and Pay legislation in Northern Ireland so that parents can access this support if they need it.
"I am therefore launching this two-month consultation in order to gather views from stakeholders and the wider public to inform how we can best introduce measures in Northern Ireland to meet the needs of bereaved parents here."
The Minister added:
"Any new measures will require legislation approved by the Assembly. This consultation is a key milestone in moving that process forward.
"The consultation is open now and I urge anyone with a view to respond using the online platform."
To view the proposals and respond to the consultation visit: Parental bereavement leave and pay.
The consultation closes on 10 August 2020.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Dodds: Northern Ireland can lead the way in hydrogen energy 10 July 2020
- Economy Minister announces £1million export success for White’s Speedicook 10 July 2020
- Dodds welcomes increase in Foreign Direct Investment projects in Northern Ireland 10 July 2020
- Dodds visits Craigavon area companies 10 July 2020