The Department has today published a Statistical First Release (SFR) on the Destinations of Leavers from Northern Ireland (NI) Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) 6 months after graduating, for the academic year 2016/17. A more detailed bulletin is due to be published on 30 August 2018.
In 2016/17, of the full-time first degree leavers from HEIs in NI whose destinations were known:
- 67 per cent were in UK employment
- 5 per cent were in employment overseas (including Republic of Ireland)
- 6 per cent were in both work and further study
- 14 per cent were in further study only
- 3 per cent were engaged in other activities
- 4 per cent were unemployed
Of the full-time first degree leavers from NI HEIs with a known destination who were working in the UK, 74 per cent were in posts classified as ‘Professional Employment’.
In 2016/17, of those UK domiciled first degree leavers (both full-time and part-time) from NI HEIs reported as being in full-time paid employment in the UK, 65per cent disclosed their salary. The median salary reported (to the nearest £500) was £21,000; the mean salary was £21,500.
This document is available to download at Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education
Notes to editors:
1. The statistics presented in this bulletin are based on data collected by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). HESA is the official agency for the collection of information on publicly funded Higher Education institutions (HEIs) in the UK.
2. The HESA data presented in this bulletin relate to students at HEIs in NI and do not include HE students at Further Education (FE) colleges in NI or GB, or at institutions in the Republic of Ireland.
3. Higher Education students for the purpose of HESA's data collection are those students on courses for which the level of instruction is above that of level 3 of the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) National Qualifications Framework (NQF) (for example, courses at the level of Certificate of HE and above).
4. The academic year runs from 1 August to 31 July.
5. Further notes and technical details are available in the bulletin on the Department’s website.
6. For further information, please contact the DfE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623974383.
- Opportunity to join Northern Ireland’s growing IT Sector 09 July 2018
- Higher Education Performance Indicator Statistics published 05 July 2018
- 28 June 2018
- Department for the Economy publishes Higher Education statistical fact sheets 27 June 2018