Economy Minister Diane Dodds has made extensions to the terms of office of members of the governing bodies (GB) of further education colleges.
Belfast Metropolitan College
The tenures of two GB members, Wendy Gillies and John McGrillen, have been further extended for nine months from 1 May 2020 to 31 January 2021.
Northern Regional College
The tenure of one GB member, David Lennox, has been further extended for two months from 1 May 2020 to 30 June 2020. Two additional GB members, Isobel Allison and Gillian McConnell, have had their tenures extended for nine months from 31 July 2020 to 30 April 2021.
North West Regional College
The tenures of two GB members, Gavin Killeen and Samuel McGregor, have been further extended for nine months from 1 May 2020 to 31 January 2021. One additional GB member, Martin O’Kane has had his tenure extended for nine months from 1 July 2020 to 31 March 2021.
South Eastern Regional College
The tenures of two GB members, Neil Bodger and Heather Reid, have been further extended for nine months from 1 May 2020 to 31 January 2021.
Southern Regional College
The tenures of Andrew Saunders, Chair of the GB, and one other GB member, Gordon Gough, have been further extended for nine months from 1 May 2020 to 31 January 2021. One additional GB member, Nicola Wilson, has had her tenure extended for nine months from 1 August 2020 to 30 April 2021.
South West College
The tenures of four GB members, Margaret Martin, Monica McGeary, Gerard O’Hanlon and Michael Skuce, have been further extended for nine months from 1 May 2020 to 31 January 2021. One additional GB member, Peter Archdale, has had his tenure extended for nine months from 1 August 2020 to 30 April 2021.
Notes to editors:
1. Further education colleges are non-departmental public bodies (NDPB) of DfE established under the Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 (the ‘1997 Order’). Under the 1997 Order, the constitution of the college is specified in the Instrument of Government and the functions / responsibilities of its governing body are set out in its Articles of Government. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for the management of the college including securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. Remuneration for GB members:
- The post of Chair is remunerated at a rate of £20,000 per year plus travel and subsistence allowances;
- The post of GB member is remunerated at £250 for a governing body meeting and £150 for a committee meeting or event sanctioned by the Chair plus travel and subsistence allowances.
- Travel and subsistence allowances are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates in respect of activities carried out whilst fulfilling their duties.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. The extendees have all declared no political activity.
5. Follow us on Twitter
6. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Reopening close contact services is the next step towards better days: Dodds 23 April 2021
- Dodds announces 20 high quality training places for the north west with Alchemy Technology Services 21 April 2021
- Northern Ireland is ready for the return of tourists: Dodds 21 April 2021
- Economy Minister highlights partnership and collaboration to help rebuild the economy 21 April 2021