Digital innovators from across Northern Ireland came to Belfast, this week, to hear about the new innovation support programme, CreativeXR, designed to unlock the creative potential of immersive content.
The event, hosted by Digital Catapult NI, in partnership with Immersive Tech NI, was designed to explain more about the three-month programme. CreativeXR gives creative talent the opportunity to experiment with immersive technologies to develop new experiences that inspire audiences, working with some of the best creative teams, from across the UK.
Focused on the creative industries, particularly the arts and culture sector, the programme gives the best creative teams the opportunity to develop concepts and prototypes of immersive content (virtual, augmented and mixed reality). The programme offers access to early stage finance, facilities, industry leaders and commissioning bodies, and the opportunity to pitch for further development funding. The programme has been developed by Digital Catapult and Arts Council England, with support from Innovate UK. The first phase will see 20 recipients awarded prizes of £20,000, followed by a showcase held in London in March 2018.
The evening included a range of talks and demos from some of those involved in the growing NI immersive technology scene. This included BBC Rewind who plan to use the BBC sound archive to open up the past with intelligent personal assistants, such as Alexa. Attendees included Enter Yes who are behind 'Beyond Hirieth', an exciting Sci-Fi game available in virtual reality, and Retinize who brought us 'Fight Game' starring Carl Frampton, as part of a virtual reality experience.
The CreativeXR open call for applications runs throughout October and more information can be found at the CreativeXR website
Notes to editors:
1. Digital Catapult NI is supported by the Department for the Economy
2. CreativeXR has been developed by Digital Catapult and Arts Council England, with support from Innovate UK.
3. Digital Catapult Northern Ireland delivers a wide range of activities supporting and helping build on Northern Ireland’s digital capability and promote international collaboration.
4. For media enquiries, please contact DfE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Outside office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
5. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Opportunity to join Northern Ireland’s growing IT Sector 09 July 2018
- Higher Education Performance Indicator Statistics published 05 July 2018
- Department for the Economy publishes Higher Education Destinations Statistics 28 June 2018
- Department for the Economy publishes Higher Education statistical fact sheets 27 June 2018