The JP McManus All Ireland Scholarships Scheme for students in Northern Ireland is now open for applications.
The annual scholarships, first offered in Northern Ireland in 2009, are funded by businessman JP McManus and provide financial assistance to top-performing students from low-income households who intend to take up full-time undergraduate courses in the coming autumn. The value of each scholarship is £5,500 per annum for the duration of their undergraduate degree programme.
Recognising the opportunities afforded by the scholarships, Economy Minister Gordon Lyons said:
“These scholarships recognise the importance of higher education in changing lives and aim to ensure that high performing students are able to avail of the opportunity and continue their education. I am delighted to note that to date 275 students from Northern Ireland have been awarded a scholarship.
“I would like to thank JP McManus for his continued generosity in providing these scholarships which help ease the financial concerns of the students."
The 25 Northern Ireland scholarships will be awarded to the top 19 performing ‘A’ level students in grant aided post primary schools and the top six performing Level 3 Extended Diploma students in the further education colleges.
Applicants must have been in receipt of the Educational Maintenance Allowance at the time of examination and due to commence an undergraduate degree at a university or further education college in September / October 2022.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 4pm on Tuesday 30 August 2022.
Further information and details on how to apply are available from nidirect and the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment.
Notes to editors:
1. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @EconomyNI
- Skills to Succeed Facebook
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
2. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- 20 opportunities on latest Assured Skills Financial Services Academy with FinTrU 07 February 2023
- Skill Up initiative helping thousands boost their career prospects – apply now 02 February 2023
- Essential Skills Enrolments and Outcomes in Northern Ireland from 2017/18 to 2021/22 30 January 2023
- Northern Ireland Business Demography Statistics 2021 26 January 2023