This project, which is currently timetabled for commencement in the period 2015-16, will be implemented by a private sector developer(s) under a gas licence(s) granted by the Northern Ireland Authority for Utility Regulation (‘the Utility Regulator’) under the Gas (Northern Ireland) Order 1996.
The proposals aim to:
- bring greater fuel choice to energy consumers in the identified towns
- enable businesses to use a cleaner, more efficient and cheaper fuel
- help to shift the dependence on coal and oil for household heating
- help to alleviate fuel poverty
- enhance security of energy supply
- reduce CO2 and other harmful environmental emissions.