The appointment is for a three year period and takes effect from 1 April 2017.
The appointment was made by Simon Hamilton MLA, prior to the end of his tenure as Minister for the Economy. It was made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland, Code of Practice.
Notes to editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland is a non-departmental public body (NDPB) with Crown status, funded by grant-in-aid from the Department for the Economy. It was established on 1 April 1999 by an Order In Council, amending the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978. Its mission is to ensure that risks to people’s health and safety arising from work activities are effectively controlled.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. The appointee has not had any political activity in the last 5 years.
- Chairmanship of the Board of HSENI carries a remuneration of £19,245 per annum.
- Pen Picture
- Mr Martin has recently retired, having previously been Joint Managing Director and a Director of H&J Martin Ltd since 1988.
- He is a graduate in Civil Engineering from Queen’s University Belfast, a Chartered Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers, a Fellow of the Institute of Building, and a member of the Institute of Directors.
- Mr Martin was a member of the Construction Employers Federation Council for many years and is a Past President.
- He holds two other public appointments; he is a Board Member of the Construction Industry Training Board NI (remuneration £144 per day) and is currently chair of the Board’s Audit and Risk Committee, and he has recently been appointed as one of two Independent Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly Commission Secretariat Audit and Risk Committee (remuneration £337 per day).
- Mr Martin brings a range of skills and knowledge to his role on the HSENI Board, including leadership, governance, working in partnership and strategic thinking.
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI