The Department for the Economy has appointed Gareth Hetherington as Temporary Chair of the Governing Body of South Eastern Regional College.
The appointment of Mr Hetherington is effective from 11 December 2018 and will run until a new permanent Chair is appointed.
Notes to editors:
- South Eastern Regional College is one of the six Northern Ireland further education colleges. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
- Appointments to further education college governing bodies are made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice. The appointment of a Temporary Chair has been made in consultation with the Commissioner’s Office.
- During their period of appointment a Temporary Chair is remunerated pro-rata at a rate of £20,000 per annum. Travel and subsistence allowances are also payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates.
- Mr Hetherington is a qualified accountant and member of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy. He worked in economics and public policy for over 10 years as a management consultant. More recently, Mr Hetherington took up the position of Director in the Northern Ireland Centre for Economic Policy, based in the Ulster Business School at the University of Ulster. He brings to the Governing Body particular strengths in public accountability, analytical thinking and a detailed understanding of the role of further education in the economy. He does not hold any other public appointments.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Hetherington has not carried out any political activity in the last five years.
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604 or email email@example.com . Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI.
- NWRC offers new training opportunities in welding 18 January 2019
- Danske Bank launches further Assured Skills Academy in North West 10 January 2019
- Southern Regional College launches Assured Skills Welding Academy 09 January 2019
- Extensions to Department for the Economy public appointments 09 January 2019