The Department for the Economy (DfE) has launched a public appointments competition for five members of the board of Tourism Northern Ireland (TNI).
The TNI board has corporate responsibility for ensuring that TNI fulfils the aims and objectives set by the Department and approved by the Minister, and for promoting the efficient, economic and effective use of staff and other resources by TNI.
No specific academic qualifications are required for the post. However, the Department wishes to appeal to people of all ages from a wide range of backgrounds and experience across the community, voluntary, business or public sector, who can bring a wide range of skills and experience to the role. DfE would particularly welcome applications from people with a disability, those from minority ethnic communities and young people, as they are currently under-represented on the board. The Department is operating a Guaranteed Interview Scheme in this competition for applicants with a disability.
This is an open competition, which involves an application form and interview. The closing date for receipt of applications is noon (GMT) on 8 December 2022. Appointments are made on merit.
The initial appointments will be effective from 1 April 2023 for a term of three years.
An application pack with full details and guidance may be obtained from Public Appointments Unit, Department for the Economy, Adelaide House, 39-49 Adelaide Street, Belfast BT2 8FD. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: DfE website - public appointments (Public Appointments). Telephone: Janet McCrum on 028 9052 9492 or Text Relay: 18001 028 9052 9492.
Notes to editors:
1. Members are expected to attend board meetings and other events, amounting to at least one day per month. In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to attend occasional evening engagements. Remuneration is £5,435, non pensionable.
2. Members will receive reimbursement for all reasonable travel and subsistence costs, and any dependant-carer expenses incurred whilst undertaking board duties.
3. Former Economy Minister Gordon Lyons signed off on this public appointment competition before the end of the 24-week period following the May 2022 election.
4. Tourism Northern Ireland (TNI) is the trading name of the Northern Ireland Tourist Board (NITB). NITB is a statutory Non-Departmental Public Body originally established under the Development of Tourist Traffic Act (NI) 1948. Its constitution and continuation were affirmed in the Tourism (NI) Order 1992.
5. Tourism Northern Ireland is funded by Department for the Economy (DfE) under Article 7 of the Order, from monies voted by the Northern Ireland Assembly. DfE is running the competition in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland (CPANI) Code of Practice.
6. The aims of TNI are to:
- encourage tourism;
- encourage the provision and improvement of tourist accommodation and tourist amenities; and
- advise the Department generally on the formulation and implementation of its policy in relation to the development of tourism.
7. Under the provisions of the Order, the Board of TNI shall consist of nine members, including a Chairperson.
8. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process.
9. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
Twitter – @Economy_NI
Instagram – economy_ni
LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
10. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com
11. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Consultation launched on approach to 10X Technologies and Clusters 29 September 2023
- 20 high quality training places available on Business Operations Assured Skills Academy with EOS IT Solutions 29 September 2023
- Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index Quarter 2 2023 28 September 2023
- Northern Ireland Apprenticeship Awards 2024 launched 26 September 2023