The Department for the Economy has reappointed Mr John Mackell to the Governing Body of South Eastern Regional College (SERC) for a period of four years with effect from 1 February 2020.
This is a regulated appointment and has been made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
1. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. The post of Governing Body member is remunerated at £250 for a Governing Body meeting and £150 for a committee meeting or event sanctioned by the Chair. Travel and subsistence allowances are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates in respect of activities carried out whilst fulfilling their duties.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Mackell has not carried out any political activity in the last five years.
4. Mr Mackell read Law at Queen's University Belfast, graduating in 2002. He was admitted to the Roll of Solicitors for Northern Ireland in 2004 and the Roll of Solicitors for Republic of Ireland in 2008. As a solicitor of 15 years standing he has primarily worked in the areas of Criminal, Litigation and Public Law. Mr Mackell was the lead solicitor in a number of high profile and complex Criminal cases. He is currently working as a solicitor in the area of Regulatory supervision. Mr Mackell was formerly President of the Student's Union at QUB and an Officer Board Member of the Union of Students in Ireland (USI). He is also a graduate of the Washington Ireland (Young Leaders) Programme. Mr Mackell is a former Presiding Member of the Northern Ireland Civil Legal Service Appeals Panels as well as a previous Legal Chair of the HSCB's Disciplinary Committee. He holds professional qualifications in both Mediation and Investigatory Practices. Mr Mackell does not currently hold any other public appointments.
5. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
6. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI.
- Economy Minister highlights alternative employment opportunities 08 April 2020
- Telecoms engineers help us stay connected during social distancing – Dodds 08 April 2020
- Dodds provides update on award of vocational qualifications 08 April 2020
- Ministers highlight contribution of colleges and universities in fight against COVID-19 06 April 2020