Northern Ireland small and medium-sized enterprises and research institutions are being encouraged to explore new business opportunities using satellite imagery. Exclusively open to Northern Ireland firms, Airbus Defence and Space, Digital Catapult NI, Invest NI and Northern Ireland Space Office are inviting companies to enter the challenge to exploit earth observation data to create applications under the theme ‘Space for Sustainable Living’.
It is envisaged the development of new applications could benefit a range of industries from fishing and farming to urban planning and traffic management.
The winner will be allowed to secure satellite imagery worth €20,000 from Airbus-owned or operated Earth observation satellite systems.
The Northern Ireland Space Sector is a significant emerging market encompassing government, industry, academia with over 65 joint publications between NASA and the Ulster University.
For further information on how to apply to the challenge visit the Airbus Space Challenge website.
Registrations will close on 31 January 2018.
Notes to editors:
1. For further information, please contact DfE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 9743832.
2. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Opportunity to join Northern Ireland’s growing IT Sector 09 July 2018
- Higher Education Performance Indicator Statistics published 05 July 2018
- Department for the Economy publishes Higher Education Destinations Statistics 28 June 2018
- Department for the Economy publishes Higher Education statistical fact sheets 27 June 2018