Northern Ireland small and medium-sized enterprises and research institutions are being encouraged to explore new business opportunities using satellite imagery. Exclusively open to Northern Ireland firms, Airbus Defence and Space, Digital Catapult NI, Invest NI and Northern Ireland Space Office are inviting companies to enter the challenge to exploit earth observation data to create applications under the theme ‘Space for Sustainable Living’.
It is envisaged the development of new applications could benefit a range of industries from fishing and farming to urban planning and traffic management.
The winner will be allowed to secure satellite imagery worth €20,000 from Airbus-owned or operated Earth observation satellite systems.
The Northern Ireland Space Sector is a significant emerging market encompassing government, industry, academia with over 65 joint publications between NASA and the Ulster University.
For further information on how to apply to the challenge visit the Airbus Space Challenge website.
Registrations will close on 31 January 2018.
Notes to editors:
1. For further information, please contact DfE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 9743832.
2. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Clusters and collaboration make big business sense for SMEs 13 March 2018
- Department for the Economy publishes Higher Education Performance Indicator Statistics 08 March 2018
- Electricity Consumption and Renewable Generation in Northern Ireland: Year Ending December 2017 – report published. 08 March 2018
- Stakeholder events - Barriers to Participation and Progression in Education 06 March 2018