The Department for the Economy’s Assured Skills Pilot Welding Academy is offering nine pre-employment training places at Belfast Met’s Castlereagh campus.
Belfast Met is collaborating with three companies, Cubis Systems, Lurgan, Steel Structures (NI) Ltd Belfast and Metalcraft Engineering Ltd Belfast, to offer nine people the opportunity to learn valuable welding skills.
The successful applicants will receive five weeks’ training at the Castlereagh campus, followed by a two-week placement at one of the three companies. Applicants require no experience or qualifications.
Participants who successfully complete the full training course will be guaranteed a job interview.
Graeme Wilkinson, Director of Skills at the Department for the Economy, says this is a high quality opportunity to gain skills that are in demand: “Businesses in the local engineering and fabrication sectors are continually seeking new people with skills in welding. This Assured Skills Pilot Welding Academy at Belfast Met’s Castlereagh campus, offers participants the experience in both a learning and a workplace setting, helping to equip them with the skills they need to compete for jobs while supporting businesses to continue to grow.
“With no qualifications or experience needed, this is an excellent opportunity for anyone seeking a new challenge to gain valuable new skills and potentially launch a career in welding.”
Belfast Met’s Director of Curriculum, Jonathan Heggarty, said: “Belfast Met has a strong track record of delivering high quality training and education to local people and helping them gain the skills they need to secure employment. The college is pleased to be able to deliver this Assured Skills Pilot Welding Academy in collaboration with three local companies and we look forward to welcoming successful applicants to this exciting learning opportunity.”
Participants will receive a weekly training allowance of £150, will be reimbursed travel expenses and may be eligible for child care assistance. Applicants must not have asthma in order to take part in welding. Applications are open until 23 August 2019.
For more information and details of how to apply, visit nidirect.
Following the five-week course at Belfast Met Castlereagh, learners on the Academy will have a two-week placement at one of the following companies:
- Cubis Systems, Lurgan
- Steel Structures (NI) Ltd, Belfast
- Metalcraft Engineering Ltd, Belfast
Notes to editors:
1. Assured Skills is a pre-employment training programme run by the Department for the Economy. More information here.
2. Follow us on Twitter @economy_ni http://twitter.com/economy_ni
3. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604 or email email@example.com . Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Looking for advice after exams? The Northern Ireland Careers Service is here to help you 15 August 2019
- Extensions to Further Education college governing body public appointments 15 August 2019
- Bangor restaurateurs banned for under-declaring sales and failing to account for cash 13 August 2019
- Labour Market Statistics 13 August 2019